The Militant Libertarian

I'm pissed off and I'm a libertarian. What else you wanna know?

Saturday, July 31, 2004

To Amend or Not to Amend: Gay Marriage in Utah

To Amend or Not to Amend: Gay Marriage in Utah
by Aaron Turpen

Right up front here, I will tell you where I stand on Amendment 3 (aka “The Gay Marriage Amendment” here in Utah): I oppose it.

I don’t oppose it because I’m gay, because I think gay people should have more rights than the rest of us, or because I’m some kind of atheist God-hating nutcase. A nutcase maybe, but not an atheist God-hating one. 

So what is my reasoning? I have three major reasons: my love of freedom, a hatred of under-simplification and duplicity, and my knowledge that you can’t legislate liberty.

Religious Ferver
For most of the supporters of this amendment, the reasoning literally boils down to their religious beliefs and their wish to foist those beliefs on others. Since this, by far, is the most-used argument for the amendment, I’ll start there.

I won’t get into the whole “are we a Christian nation?” argument because it’s really much simpler than even that. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah is what most of Christian anti-homosexual belief is based upon. Interestingly, one major aspect of this story is often overlooked: Lot’s escape from Sodom.

To read the rest of this, click on this link: http://www.UtahFreedomActivist.com

-----
Got comments? Email me, dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home