The Militant Libertarian

I'm pissed off and I'm a libertarian. What else you wanna know?

Monday, June 25, 2007

The Alamo

Commandancy of the Alamo
Bexar, Feby. 24th, 1836

To the People of Texas & all Americans in the World-- Fellow Citizens and
Compatriots--

I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna--I have
sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a
man--The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise the
garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken--I have answered
the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the
walls--I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name
of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to
come to our aid with all despatch--The enemy is receiving reinforcements
daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five
days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long
as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own
honor & that of his country--Victory or Death.
-- William Barret Travis Lt. Col. comdt.

* * * * *

Let the old men tell the story
Let the legend grow and grow
Of the 13 days of glory
At the siege of Alamo.

Lift the tattered banners proudly
While the eyes of Texas shine
Let the fort that was a mission
Be an everlasting shrine.

That they died to give us freedom
That is all we need to know
Of the 13 days of glory
At the siege of Alamo.

-----
Got comments? Email me, dammit!
Permanent link for this article which can be used on any website:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home