The Militant Libertarian

I'm pissed off and I'm a libertarian. What else you wanna know?

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Give Me Liberty (book review)

I have read a lot of science fiction in my lifetime. My all-time favorite author is Isaac Asimov. On that note, about the only thing wrong with “Give Me Liberty” is that Asimov isn’t in it. In my opinion, this book is as good as it gets without Asimov. :)

Kidding aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. In fact, I cut corners in my regular life (the dog can be walked every THIRD day, right?) just so that I could keep reading.

This book has stories from some of the biggest names in classic sci-fi: Vernor Vinge, A.E. van Vogt, Frank Herbert, and Eric Frank Russell. All of their stories have a freedom/liberty bent and usually involve worlds/cultures with little or no government.

Some of the best, such as Russell’s “And Then There Were None,” involve clashes of cosmic-scale governments with self-governing peoples (anarchists). Others, like Vogt’s “The Weapon Shop,” show alternative governments acting in opposition to “regular” government.

You won’t find a bad story in this bunch, even if you don’t really like sci-fi. I’d highly recommend you get a copy of this book!

-----
Got comments? Email me, dammit!
Permanent link for this article which can be used on any website:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home